Thursday, July 21, 2011

Coming of Age as a Skeptic and Believer


This street performer set up his drum set on a sidewalk in Oxford. His playing drew a crowd that listened to him and sometimes gave tips. There are times when music is the only thing people have to stay cheerful and to share. The fact that a street performer can draw this large of a constant crowd makes me believe in the power of music.









Charles was a skeptic of things - especially religion. Being a skeptic of religion is almost like trying to find your way through a maze. It is difficult to find your way through the many religions, as this maze was difficult to navigate. I was skeptic about finishing the maze at first...

But we made it! It was difficult along the way, but finding the way in the end is a reward in itself. Charles found religion at the end of the novel, just like I found my way through the maze at Hampton Court Palace.






After living in Houston all my life until college, I began to be skeptic that a large, metropolitan city could look beautiful. This view of London from the top of the Monument commemorating the Great Fire made me believe it is possible. The buildings against the tumultuous sky look surreal and beautiful to me, unlike anything I've ever seen Houston.






I became a believer in soccer and the Chelsea Football Club after touring its stadium, Stamford Bridge. I was a skeptic of soccer because I did not truly understand it. After seeing the story behind the club and the fans' stories, I have become a believer in both soccer and Chelsea F.C.









In a way I am sometimes a skeptic of religion, as many people are at times. My skepticism, though, is nothing compared to that of Charles. Places like the chapel at Christ Church College in Oxford make me question why I am ever a skeptic. If I were a skeptic on the level of Charles, I would think that this chapel would be enough to make me a believer.

8 comments:

  1. I really liked how you incorporated you own experiences of Coming of Age as a Believer or a Skeptic. It really gives a different perspective than just that of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about music being something that people can unite over is so true! It was really cool to see so many diverse people come together just because of some fun music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you compared Charles skeptic feelings about faith with your feelings about the maze. I also like how you said a church like Christ Church makes it hard to be a skeptic about faith, I completely agree!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see you discovered (and meandered through) the maze. Has your skepticism changed in other ways over your time in London?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your picture in the maze is beautiful, and it really helps make your point!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you related the images back to your life! They help me understand what you're learning and make it easier to relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like how you chose interesting shots for each of your pictures. I also like how you give us an insight into your own life as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remarkable pictures.
    I must admit, I am not yet a believer of soccer but that is because I don't fully understand it as you now do.

    It just goes to show that we are definitely skeptic of things until you actually experience and relate with it..just as you overcame your skepticism of the beauty within big cities, too.

    ReplyDelete